A few years ago I fell in love with a granola bar and with in six months of me finding it they stopped selling it. It’s that the way it happens though. They were this perfect combination of chocolate, fruit, salty, and crunchy. I just had to find away to have them again. I have tried to make granola bars several different times, they all came out crunchy and never stuck together very well. I had to find away and one night I did. I was nervous but since they were gone in less then 48hrs I think they were a huge hit.
Chewy Granola Bars
- 2 c oats ( I used the one minute quick cook oats, but didn’t cook them)
- 1 c rice Krispie cereal
- 1 c preztels, broken into pieces
- 2/3 c light brown sugar
- 1/3 c honey
- 2 ts cinnamon
- 2 TBS almond slivers
- 1/4 c dried cranberries
- 1/4 c butter
- 3/4 c chocolate chips (I used a mix of semi-sweet and milk chocolate)
- Line a 9×13 inch pan with parchment paper.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Set to the side.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat combine all the wet ingredients. Heat until all the sugar is completely melted.
- Once the sugar is completely dissolved, remove from heat and combine with the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Press mixture hard and evenly into the prepared pan. Place in fridge for about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl melt chocolate chips. You can use the double boiler method or the microwave heating in 10 second intervals. Once the chocolate is melted pour over the granola and spread out evenly. Place back in fridge until chocolate has set. Then cut into bars or squares. Enjoy