We have all had pasta salad in some way shape and form. Mine usually consisted of pasta, dressing, and cherry tomatoes. Most people have had it this was and I love this way, it makes for a great side dish at a cook out. But when trying to figure out what to feed kids, it lacks something. It needed more to make it a complete meal and had to be healthy too.
I took the basic idea and added some more veggies and thin slices of ham. And I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t have some type of cheese in it. It needed to be a cheese that wouldn’t melt in the heat or have it’s flavor get lost with all the other flavors. Parmesan cheese, freshly grated was my answer. Cost just as much as the pre-shredded but doing it yourself gives it a better flavor. 🙂
Ultimate Pasta Salad
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced ham
- 1 box pasta, I used rotini
- 1 zucchini
- 1 summer squash
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup Italian dressing
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium pot bring water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente. Drain.
- Cut the zucchini and squash into 1/2 inch chunks and quarter them.
- Place tomatoes, zucchini, squash on a cookie sheet. Add the ham strips. Pour 2 tbs of Italian dressing over and mix until everything is coated.
- Cook over the grill or in the oven on 350˚ until the veggies are slightly tender but still have a crunch to them. You don’t want to over cook and have it become mush.
- In a large bowl mix together the pasta and cooked veggies. Add the Italian dressing and mix until everything is coated again.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over and give a quick toss. Serve warm or chilled.
This makes for a great summer time meal that won’t wear you down or heat your kitchen. 🙂 My favorite part is that you can make it a head of time and have an easy afternoon playing with the kids instead of worrying about cooking dinner. Summer time = fun time 😀