I hope that everyone had a great start to the new year.
This Lemon-Herb Baked Chicken is my husband’s new favorite meal. Packed with flavor and easy to make and very little oil added. I think this whole meal cost me about $9 total. Yup, you heard me $9 meal to feed a family of 5. Now that includes the chicken, potatoes, carrots (not shown), lemon, and herbs. That is not bad a deal, you can’t even get a meal like that at a restaurant where I live for 1 under $10.
When shopping look for chicken that is antibiotic free and no water added. You may pay a little bit more but what you get for flavor is well worth the extra dollar and your chicken won’t shrink when cooking. Normally when the chicken shrinks it has had water added, so you are paying for water and not meat. And that is not helping you feed your family for a better price.
Lemon-Herb Baked Chicken
- 4-5 lbs whole chicken
- 1 Tbs spoon olive oil
- 2 Tbs parsley, finely mince
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 Tbs water
- 1/2 ts salt
- 1/2 ts pepper
- 2 Tbs basil, finely minced
- Pre-heat oven 375˚
- In a small bowl whisk together parsley, basil, water, oil, salt and pepper.
- Using a 9×13 pan place chicken in the center and arrange potatoes around chicken. Pour lemon juice over potatoes and chicken. Pour the herb mixture over chicken.
- Take the zest of the lemon and sprinkle over entire dish. take the rind of the lemon and stuff it inside the chicken to boost the lemon flavor.
- Cover with tin foil. Bake for 1 hour. Remove tin foil and continue baking for 1 hour or until the juices run clear in the thickest part of the chicken. You don’t want to eat raw chicken, gross!!